08 Aug How to Find the Right Wedding-Day Shapewear
You spend a small fortune on a beautiful flowy white wedding dress only to discover that, in all the photos from your wedding ceremony and reception, your white underthings are showing through! Groan. There’s a reason why brides of all shapes and sizes opt for shapewear basics like Spanx on their wedding day and night – because there’s nothing worse than looking less than picture-perfect on your big day. The following are all the things you need to know when searching for the right shapewear for your wedding day.
- Our first piece of advice for all blushing brides-to-be is to invest in the proper undergarments. This may mean visiting a specialty lingerie store and being measure for your true bra size. According to estimates, 85% of women are wearing the wrong-size bra, which can significantly affect the way your dress fits and looks. Spend that little bit of extra money on undergarments that will make you look and feel beautiful. Trust us, it will be worth it!
- For brides wearing a satin gown or any other type of clingy fabric on their wedding day, it’s a good idea to look for light, seamless shapewear with an outline that is invisible beneath the dress. Wear a one-piece to avoid bra lines and look for a color close to your skin tone, not one that matches the color of your dress, to keep it from showing through.
- A sweetheart neckline makes for a beautiful wedding dress, but busty brides may have a hard time pulling it off without experiencing an embarrassing wardrobe malfunction. Instead of wearing your go-to push-up bra on your wedding day, look for a reducing bra that uses soft molded foam to smooth your bustline and keep your cleavage under control.
- To bra or not to bra…that is the question. There are some beautiful wedding dresses out there that feature open backs or sheer lace in the back, which means a regular bra is out of the question. If you’re an A-, B-, or C-cup, it might be a good idea to have your salon sew cups into your gown, so you get the support you need without sporting an unattractive bra strap in back. If you’re a D-cup or larger, you may want to consider buying a strapless bra and adding an extender to keep the bra in place at the base of your neck so it can’t be seen.
- There’s nothing worse than spending your wedding day hiking up a strapless dress that just doesn’t seem to want to stay put. Double-sided tape is a great idea for these situations, whether you’re wearing a bra or not. Stick the tape between your skin and your dress, or between your bra and your dress, and voila! Your dress will stay where you want it as you dance the night away.
- All brides want to look their best on their wedding day, and for plus-size brides, there’s no reason to sacrifice comfort for beauty by slipping into too-small shapewear that has you gasping for breath. For the most comfortable and flattering wedding-day undergarments, look for pieces made of lightweight nylon-Lycra, instead of cotton, which will create a smooth line while making your stomach and hips appear thinner. Pair the shapewear with a push-up bra and your waist too, will instantly look smaller!